April Fools?

Nope. Although, I almost got my son today when I brought home some handsome new clothes with the explanation that I was reading a college blog, and it stated the university he will be attending this fall recently instituted an informal dress code in their engineering department. There was a pause, a look of disbelief and then an audible sigh of relief when I said, "April Fools!" I love getting my family and friends on April Fools Day! I told my neighbor, who is traveling with her son on a college visit that her dog ran away (I was the pet-sitter)... not one of my better ideas.

Anyhow, here are some stats that might have you wishing I made them up specially for today's post. 


64 million homes, or 83 percent of housing units, built before 1980, have lead-based paint somewhere in the building.

Between 1950 and 2000, the U.S. population nearly doubled. However, in that same period, public demand for water more than tripled!

Americans now use an average of 100 gallons of water each day—enough to fill 1,600 drinking glasses! Okay, I admit that one made me thirsty.

Total land area in the U.S. is 2.3 billion acres. How much is that? Just think about all the land you see from the airplane window. The acreage required to build and expand our cities and towns, also referred to as urban land area, quadrupled from 1945 to 2002. This was at an increase of about twice the rate of population growth over this period.

On average, Americans spend about 90 percent or more of their time indoors.

Indoor levels of pollutants may be two to five times higher, and occasionally more than 100 times higher, than outdoor levels.This is a compelling reason to purchase low- or zero-VOC products.

In 2006 the average household spent at least $2000 a year on energy bills--over half of which goes to heating and cooling. We have all felt the heat of rising energy prices since 2006 so one can only wonder, how much do we currently spend?

Comments

  1. Again, a great post, Tracy! Very informative blog. I'm giggling as I imagine your son's face looking at the clothes in your hands, but cannot giggle at the dismal stats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post, Tracy. I am dismayed by the statistics though, and can't help but think that things will only get worse before they get better - due to our exploding population and its attendant energy use. Keep updating us on the latest green technology and conservation tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia2:46 PM

    Thanks for the great information, again. Oh, also enjoyed the joke you played on your son. Looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative, Tracy. I was stunned to learn that indoor pollutants may be higher than outdoor ones. I'm going outside for a walk!

    Thanks for teaching me something new today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Your Personal Source of Clean, Affordable Energy

Solar Empowerment